Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Year In Morden

I am a terrible blogger.  I can never keep up, and therefore anyone who was vaguely interested in by blog stops reading it because I don't post anything.  Soooo.....  if your still out there, this is for you.

I realized today that Friday is the one year anniversary of our Move to Morden. Time to look back and see what has happened over those 12 months.

Brook started kindergarten and turned 5.  in the last 12 months she has learned sooo much.  She has started writing her name, recognizing letters and numbers, even sounding out some short words. She LOVES kindergarten and all of the little friends she has met there.  She grew over 1.5 inches, and has become a very independent little girl.  No longer a pre-schooler that's for sure.  I can't believe how confidently she walks into the school and doesn't look back.  She doesn't miss me at all.  I wish I could say the same about her.  She loves riding her bike and reading books.  Her favorite color is pinkandpurple (one word) and she is a girl through and through.

Jack and his "spicy" hair
Jack is 2 3/4 years old and has grown over 2 inches in the last year. No more baby boy, accept for the diapers.  We just can't seem to get rid of those!!!  He talks so clearly for a guy his age and is never afraid to say hello to a stranger.  (unless they have a beard)  He has fallen madly in love with Grandpa Pauls and his tractors.  He can't get enough combines, balers or tractors.  He has changed from a toddler into a pre-schooler.  He misses Brook when she's gone to school and every day when we pick her up at lunch time there is a grand reunion.  The two of them get along very well.  (most of the time) He's got a big heart, and always manages to make me feel special.

Our dog Sam turned 10 this summer and is starting to show her age.  She's starting to get stiff, but she's still crazy about tennis balls, frisbees, and anything else she can chase.  She has no interest in being careful with her body when it comes to chasing down a squirrel or racing after a ball.  How do I explain to a dog that she's gonna regret it in the morning?  I am learning to care for a senior dog, which is a lot more work than I expected.  She's part of the family and we love her.  I'm sure she would die for anyone of us.

Trevor has fully adjusted to his job and has started planning his 2014 missions trip.  It looks like the group will be going to Moore, Oklahoma for spring break to help rebuild homes that we destroyed by tornados.  Although he will never be done learning, he is feeling a bit more comfortable with his position. The church has been encouraging and supportive, which makes him feel appreciated.  He has been really enjoying the extra opportunities to preach, and he's getting pretty good at it.  I never would have thought that it would be a passion of his, but I love seeing what God does through him.

Trevor is the main reason for a majority the upgrades done to our home in this last year.   He has been working like crazy all year to make our basement a livable space, and last week we finally got to move in!  We have had more guests over in the last week than we have in 2 months.  That extra bit of space has made all the difference.   These are some of the things that we've done this year:

- Put flowerbeds in front of the house
- We took a wall out of the kitchen (more work than you'd think)
- Removed a giant rock garden and about 20 stumps/shrubs out of the backyard
- Cut back the jungle of trees and planted a lot of grass
- 90% finished renovating the basement, (also more work than you'd think)


My year has been one of transition, and it has taken me this long to feel like I am at home in Morden.   It is a nice town, but it was hard to leave Boissevain the way that we did.  In a hurry, with some hurts and baggage.  I've spent the year grieving some of those hurts and trying to unpack the baggage.  It's getting better all the time.

Glencross church has become a safe place and I am thankful for the friends that we have made there. We had a great summer of camping.  I LOVE camping.  We did 3 different trips and they were all wonderful.  Highlights of my year.  Brook started kindergarten and it was a bit difficult for me to let go, but it has become the new normal and I am enjoying my mornings with Jack.  It helps that Brook loves kindergarten so much.  We are not morning people, but I am amazed at what I can accomplish in a day when I get up at 7am.

My life consists of trying to make everyone else' life run smoothly.  Meals, laundry, cleaning, organizing, budgeting.  That's me.  I love my job.  I like to make lists and have a tidy home.  I like to color and play with playdough, drive trucks on the floor and braid barbie hair.  I am FAR from a perfect mother, but I really enjoy the work God has given me to do.  Other than the location, my job hasn't changed much this year.   But we've all grown, and that's what makes us so much different than we were 12 months ago.

Jamie


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the newsy update.

Karen said...

Great to hear how you're all doing!!

Aunt Ruth said...

thanks for the update! Always good to hear how things are going and see pictures of your growing kids!