Friday, March 13, 2009

Me and My Buns


OK, I know I have blogged a lot today, but I have to share a part of my day with you. The following are two posts from my facebook page. I got a huge response. It seems I am not the only one that has issues with making bread. Hope you enjoy:

My Bread Making Phobia:
So, to be a good house wife and mother I always thought that you have to be able to make bread. I tried once about a year ago and failed miserably. The dough was all sticky and gross. I had it stuck everywhere and I ended up wasting about 10 cups of flour. I ended up throwing the dough in a garbage bag and hiding it in the bottom of the garbage can so it didn't haunt me. It didn't even make it into the oven!

After this experience I was emotionally destroyed! What kind of a woman am I? I can't even make bread! For a while I blamed it on the recipe that I was given, and that made me feel a little bit better, but really it was just my incompetence in the kitchen. I toyed with the idea of buying a bread maker. Maybe if I couldn't make bread I could get a machine to do it for me. (My cheapness stopped me from doing that.)

So, here I sit, almost ready to try to make bread again. I am on the verge! The thought of fresh bread and cinnamon buns dancing in my head.

It took me a year to get over my last failure, and I'm not sure how long it will take me to get over another one if things don't go well. I'm scared!

What I need from you all is confidence. Someone out there tell me that it is possible for me to make bread! It's like this big bad mountain of doubt and scariness. It's like my Womanhood is on the line! What's wrong with me??? Help!!!!

(Several Hours Later)

Successful Buns! Sort of:
So I guess I am not the only one with a bread making phobia. Thanks for all your encouragement. I gave bread making a try and I only had to call my Mom once to make sure I was doing it right. I have been told it's kinda hard to make good bread without a mixer, but I think I accomplished it.

Well, they not really GOOD buns, but they are food. The are edible. I think. I hope. Trev comes home soon so I'll test them out on him. They are kinda heavy. When you pick one up it's like there should be two in your hand. You don't need a back brace or anything, but I think eating one will give me a workout.

Do you think Trev will be honest with me and tell me if they are not good? I'm a little hard on myself when it comes to the food I make, so I'm not the best judge. I'm sure it will be on the news tomorrow if I kill him with my baking. "MAN DIES TRYING TO MAKE WIFE HAPPY, SEE THE BUNS THAT KILLED HIM".

Well, I think I MIGHT be over my fear of bread making. Producing something edible was a good boost for my self esteem. I will definitely try it again. You all had a part in my victory today. Thanks for believing in me and my BUNS!

1 comment:

Mrs. Pauls said...

Mum has made bread for 30 some years without a mixer so it is very possible to made good bread by hand. Just remember that flour measurements are always estimates.