Monday, June 13, 2011

Brooks First Ride

Be still me beating heart. Brook rode Shadow this evening. I have no idea what changed her mind. I have no idea why all of the sudden she had the confidence, but she did. Usually she is petrified when we go out to the farm, but this evening something changed. She grabbed one of the brushes and insisted on helping me brush Shadow. (Shadows knees are very nicely groomed) She talked to Shadow and the other horses non stop. I had to keep her from basically walking under the horse. After putting Brook in the saddle I figured the first few steps would likely scare her, but she giggled. "Mommy, it's bumpy." Shadow called to the other horses and again, I thought that would be the end for Brook, but after I explained that Shadow was just talking to the other horses she was fine. Eventually I got sick of walking and I swung up behind her in the saddle and we went for a ride down the road. Brook loved it, and so did I. A warm sunny evening riding a great horse with my little girl. Nothing better.

When Brook was born I always wondered if she would like horses. I have to admit I was quite disappointing when she was afraid of them right from the start, but I had accepted that horses were just not her thing and I shouldn't push it. I know it was only one ride, but I really enjoyed sharing something that I love with her.

(I wrote this post yesterday, but couldn't post it until this evening.)

3 comments:

Brian and Melissa Degelder said...

I'm so glad for you that she had a good ride... I hope for many many more for the 2 of you!!! :)

Harry and Nancy Pauls said...

That is great! Brings back memories..you weren't talking yet but let me know you weren't finnished riding the horse we were on at Crossroads Range.
Dad

Aunt Ruth said...

She looks good up there! Reminds me of you as a little girl! Happy trails to both of you!